Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

My employer shared this recipe and I was absolutely thrilled with the results! The laundry soap was super easy and quick to make and very cost effective. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures. But here is the recipe for you to try!

Homemade Laundry Soap

Cost: about $0.01/load of laundry
Makes: 5 gallons of laundry soap

1 bar of Fels-Naptha
1 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax

Shave the bar of soap into small pieces. Heat 1 gallon of water and bring to boil. When the water boils, turn the heat down and add the soap pieces. Stir occasionally until the soap dissolves, then pour the
mixture into a clean 5-gallon bucket. Stir in the borax and washing soda. Fill the bucket the rest of the way with warm water and stir. Place a lid on the bucket and let it sit overnight. After 24 hours, you’ll have a giant gel clot of detergent. Break it up with your hands to make it easier to pour out of the bucket.

*** I added several drops of Lemon Essential Oil to my batch and it left a very mild and pleasant scent to the soap. =)
Use about 3/4 cup of detergent in a regular washing machine and about 1/4 cup in a high-efficiency machine.

1 comment:

Miss Hatcher said...

My family and I make this all the time! It's so inexpensive, but works really well and smells good!